What is the Scheme?
1.Sarting from the Daudkandi in Bangladesh to Sonamura in Tripura – India.
2.MV Premier sailed from Daudkandi on Thursday with 50 metric tonnes of cement cargo.
3. It is scheduled to arrive in Sonamura in Tripura after covering a distance of 93 kilometers through the river Gumti.
4. The root will be connected through Tripura with Bangladesh using the inland waterways for the first time.
5. Connectivity between Bangladesh and the North-Eastern states of India boosting bilateral trade with Bangladesh.
6. This root 2nd addendum to the Protocol for Inland Water Trade and Transit (PIWTT) in May 2020.
7. The PIWTT was signed between India and Bangladesh in 1972.
In the year 2019-2020, approx. 3.5 million MT of cargo was transported between India and Bangladesh on the protocol routes.