In the year of 2020 – 148th Birth Anniversary of V O Chidambaranathan Pillai (VOC).
He was also known as the “Indian Helmsman”.
How is Chidambaranath Pillai?
1. Chidambarantath Pillai VOC was starting the first-ever indigenous shipping service between Tuticorin and Columbo.
2. The Swadeshi Navigation Company that he started in 1906 was in direct competition against the British monopoly of this highly profitable route.
3. For his Memory, the Tuticorin port in Tamilnadu is named VOC Port Trust.
4.V O Chidambarnath Pillai played an Important Role in the freedom movement in Tamil Nadu.
About V O Chidambarnath Pillai:
1. He was born on 5th September 1872 in Ottapidarm, Tuticorin.
2.Died on 18th November 1936.
3. He started Swadeshi Steam Navigation Company.
4.Also a part of the Indian Independence Movement.